Thursday, October 28, 2010

Monday morning's microsleep misadventures, OR, The plot to Inception 2

You might ask "Hey wait, didn't you have a ton of work due last Tuesday?" And the answer was yes. BUT, I thought it was important enough to take a nap between classes before getting some work done. Also, general laziness.

And you know what? It was totally worth it. Because I had such an amazingly weird dream that I just thought I had to share with everyone! (read: noone). And, like any other good crazy person, as soon as I woke up I wrote it down to make sure it didn't get tainted by the passage of time. So what you (read: noone, really) will read in the following paragraphs is a retelling of this pure, raw, unadulterated dream. It was pretty awesome, I must admit.

To begin, like all good dreams, it started thinking I had woken up. Of course, I did not realize that I was still sleeping. So there I was, getting out of my seat at Gerstein Library and then I strolled downstairs. As usual, the computer lab was pretty much full. But I had work to do! Someone needed to leave immediately! A spot opens up, so I sit down and try to log in. This process begins to take forever, so now I feel like I'm back in 2002 when school computers were slower than molasses flowing uphill in the cold January evening.

Beside me, someone leaves and a woman sits down, trying to log on as well. I stare longingly at my screen and she asks me a question. As in the real world, I didn't have an answer, so we both go back to staring at our screens, trying to somehow telepathically or telekinetically speed up the login process.

I decide staring at the screen wasn't going to do me any good, so I hope the scenery is more stimulating. Except the campus was replaced with the intersection of Yonge and Queen. 

This is where it gets good. (Start playing some dramatic music!)

I look back down. The desk is now cleared and now the computer lab is now a restaurant. The desk in the row ahead of ours is now the restaurant bar. The woman sitting beside me is now in the seat beside me. The server comes up and asks for our orders. She orders a steak, and so do I. I was curious why he didn't ask about our drinks, but I feel can of Coke in my hand, seemingly out of nowhere. I look around and I find that the computers have been moved and people are at them. I'll never get any work done!

Out of the distance, a crazy lady gives me the stink eye. A man suddenly appears and sits down in front of me and proceeds to tell me why she seems so crazy.

At this point, he starts speaking gibberish (actual gibberish, maybe even Simlish) and subtitles appear.

He told me she was not crazy at all, but she was deeply scarred as a child. As a child, her money was stolen by England (yes, England!), and while she knew she deserved it, she wanted to take her money back. So she reached out of the plane window to try and stop them, but the plane hit some turbulance, shaking her extremely hard and frightening her. 

Suddenly the scene changes and both the woman and I are on the plane, and the man is now a disembodied voice. What I see is that lady in a window seat on the plane. The voice tells me the window she is sitting beside can be rolled down. She looks noticeably nervous as the plane begins its takeoff sequence. Her nervous tics begin to show. As we take off, I watch a projector screen showing the front of the plane. At the end of the runway is a 30m tall wall that we somehow miss. From behind me, a little boy begins asking me questions (but surprisingly, he doesn't kick my seat) that we both answer easily.

From the outside of the plane, I notice a few things during takeoff. The ocean, a cargo ship, a dead squiggoth and some waterfalls, but I cannot pinpoint the origin of where the water is coming from. At this point I wake up.

Do I sound crazy or what?
  • No, that woman wasn't you, but it was you! I really didn't remember any features on her, so you could superimpose your likeness if you wanted to be in my dreams! (Noone really would)
  • I couldn't make this up even if I tried. Read it again! Only my subconscious is good enough at stringing along completely impossible things together. I'm just replaying it for you.

No comments: