Sunday, October 23, 2011

Witness Protection (a short story)

Written as an entry for the NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge, #85.




“George, how much longer do I have to put up with this? Low profile, it’s not really my cup of tea.”
“Listen, we’re doing this to be safe. Just a while longer.”
“How much longer?”
“Until those dangerous people decide to give up looking for you.”
“Can’t come soon enough.”

I picked at my meal for most of the evening. I was surprised George could cook, or even invited me over. The last couple of times we just met at a coffee shop for our checkups. I wasn’t sure how this whole thing worked. Couldn’t have much of a normal life while keeping my head down.

“C’mon George, it’s been almost a year. You think if they knew where I was, they’d have come for me already.”
“I understand. Just a precaution. You know how my bosses can be. After that, you should be in the all-clear.”
“So is this why I’m over here tonight?”
“Figured you get one last good look at my ugly mug before I go. I still have to finish some paperwork, but to be honest, you seem to be in the all-clear.”
“Good, the weekend was just coming up. Figured I could …”
“Yeah, have fun for a change.” George let out a hearty laugh that I hardly expected. This government agent had always seemed so reserved every other time we met.

“Looks like I won’t be seeing you again, will I, George?”
“Sure hope it doesn’t come to that. You still have my number, just in case right?”
“Yeah.”
“Enjoy your start of your new life Clement … or should I say Clark Debont?”

I gave him a handshake and said goodbye to George as I hopped into my car and headed for home.

On the way back, I thought back to the last year and a half. It wasn’t even a few months before everything went to hell in my life. Maybe I shouldn’t have decided to look for my birth parents. My birth mother had died years ago, survived only by her husband and my half-sister. The reunion wasn’t what I was expecting. Just suspicion that I was after my mother’s stuff after she’d passed away. I told them I didn’t want anything but they kept harassing me. Family, right?

Then there was that night me and Lindsay were out. Seemed like ages ago. Been only what, about sixteen months ago? She got flat out drunk – nothing new for our nights out – but she happened to stumble away into an alley that night. Guess that same night, a Vincent Palatzo decided he wanted to personally make an example out of someone and made us witnesses to the incident. Such the upstanding citizen I was, I called the police and got stuck in the middle of it when they told me that I had I.D.’d a top lieutenant of the mob and the Don’s cousin.

I trusted the police. At least they kept me anonymous from the press but the mob was another matter. They knew everything about me. Next thing I know, my half-sister and her father turned up dead. I wish I could’ve been more broken up about it, or maybe it was the shock. But I hadn’t known them long enough, never mind the bitterness between us. Guess the mob didn’t care. Lindsay dropped everything and moved back home after told her I wasn’t going to be intimidated. I don’t blame her for being scared, nor could I. Probably won’t ever see her again. Then there was my relocation after the trial. I felt good knowing it was me that got him sentenced for execution but in retrospect, maybe I should’ve just kept my mouth shut and forgotten that night. Fortunately I had no one but myself in the crosshairs this time. Everyone I cared about was gone. It was all me, wandering alone in a new city.


=================================================
 
“Hey hold the door!”

I could hear Mike running frantically for the elevator.

“Hey thanks Clark.”
“No problem, Mike.”
“So … Tuesday … long week, huh?”
“Sure,” as we step out of the elevator, “so … you and Al still go out for drinks after work?”
“Well, well. What’s this Clark? Decided to finally come out of your shell? What happen last night? You get laid?”
“No, but I plan to this weekend.”
“From what I can tell, it might take you a while. I get the impression you might be out of practice.”
“I’ll be fine. This weekend okay?”
“Hey, why not tonight?”
“Just got some things to square away”, I replied. He didn’t need to know anything more than that.

As we turned the corner into the office, I noticed a new receptionist sitting at the front desk.

“Who’s she?”, I asked.
“Beats me … hey Freddie! What’s with the new receptionist?”
“Well, we finally got a replacement ever since Trudy left, God bless her.”
“She seemed to have left in a hurry if I remember correctly”, I pointed out.
“Yeah, family emergency or maybe she won the lottery or something”, as Freddy belted out a laugh, “least she’s a hottie this time”.
“I’m gonna go introduce myself”, I said.
“And here I thought you were afraid of women, Clarke.”
“Fuck you too, Mike”, as I let off a smirk at him.

As I approached the desk, I got a good look at the receptionist. She seemed to look familiar. I could’ve sworn I’ve seen her on the subway or at the park a while ago.

“Hey…”, I said, almost at a loss for words.
“Good morning”, she replied.
“Hi, my name is Clark, from accounting. I’m sure HR or whoever already introduced you but I’d thought I’d say hi, and welcome. It was kinda hell missing a receptionist for half a week.”
She giggled, “Nice to meet you, I’m Andrea.”
“So, where you from?”
“Oh, not from anywhere important, I just moved into the city about a week ago. I guess I was lucky to find this job so soon.”
“Say, I don’t happen to know you do I? You look familiar.”
“I guess I just have one of those faces.”
“Well, I guess I’d better get to work. Guess I’ll see you around, Andrea.”
“Yeah, of course.” She let off a smile.
 
=================================================
 
“So the receptionist seems nice.”
“Yeah, she’s new in town too, Mike.”
“Well, that makes it easier than it sounds, I mean, it is unfair but what can you – “
I cut him off, “Please Mike.”
“You’re no fun Clark, I thought you were going to become a bloodhound for the ladies.”
“That doesn’t even make any sense, Mike.”
 
=================================================

 If you’re wondering, nothing really happened with me and Andrea – for a while anyway. I finally found the courage the next day to ask her out and she shot me down. Well, she shot everyone down. Even Mike, but that was a given. Guess it would be awkward dating someone from work.

I met with George a couple of weeks later. He seemed much more reserved and nothing like the man I had dinner with that Monday evening. At least I was “officially” free now.
 
=================================================
 
As I walked into the office like any other day, I saw Andrea arguing with a delivery guy. It was getting a bit heated but as I approached them to see what was going on, it was over. The delivery guy bumped into me heading out.

“Watch where you’re going, bub.”

“Well, that wasn’t very friendly”, as I approached Andrea’s desk, “what was that about?”
“Oh nothing. I guess he must be new or something. He lost a package that was supposed to arrive today so I gave him hell for it.”
“My, my, sassy, aren’t we.”
“Well, thank you for being such a gentlemen and arriving to help me.”

Just because she said no didn’t mean we stopped flirting so often. It was usually one of the brighter parts of my day, sneaking in a few moments to talk with Andrea.

“Hey, listen Clark, I know you tried to ask me out a few months ago but …”
“Yeah, what about it?”
“Just that I was kinda new in town so I really wanted to get my bearings before dating; that and work … so ...”
“Okay …”
“Well, I’m asking you out Clark, you know, if you still want to …”
“Yeah, definitely”, I replied at the speed of light.
“How about … lunch on … Saturday, at Carolines? It’s by my apartment…”
“Oh yeah, I know that place. Lunch? Sure, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”
“Tomorrow! Wow, so soon!”
“Guess you must be pretty excited already”, I replied, “to forget tomorrow was Saturday.”
She let out a giggle as I walked to my desk.
“Tomorrow, m’lady!”
 
=================================================
 
“Mmm, that was delicious! Here, let me get the bill.”
“Well, as a gentlemen, I believe I should get it.”
“I did ask you out.”
“Touché.”
“Say, Clark, my apartment is …”, she handed the bill our waiter, “…nearby”, she whispered.
“Oh.”
“Wanna come over for some drinks? Maybe chat a bit in … privacy?”
“Seems unorthodox,” I chuckled, “but I like it. Sure, let’s go.”
 
=================================================
 
“Your apartment seems pretty … empty for having lived here for a few months,” I asked.
“Yeah, I used to move around a lot - military family. You get used to it. Here.”
“Scotch?”
“Yeah, you can hold your scotch, can’t you?”
“Guess we’ll find out in a bit.”
“I’ll make sure to hold your hair back if it comes to that,” she grinned.

Everything after that I can’t seem to remember. I blacked out. When I came to, I wasn’t in Andrea’s apartment anymore.
 
=================================================
 
“Okay, well, he’s your problem now,” I overheard a voice. It sounded like Andrea
“Hehehe, this is gonna be fun,” said another voice. It was a man.

I couldn’t move my arms or legs. I was chained down to a chair. I tried to move, but all I did was rattle the chains. The two voices turned around.

“Well, he’s awake now.” It was Andrea, but with a different … demeanour. Not that semi-ditzy blonde that she was just earlier.
“I usually wait until they’re awake anyway. I want them to take it all in,” the second voice said. He looked familiar … it was the delivery guy that bumped into me the other day!
“Oh, Clark, I see you two have met. His name is Hugo. Hugo, Clark.”
“What is going on!”, I yelled.
“He’s yelling. I think we need a gag. Hugo…”
“Keep your panties on, I got it. No one can hear us here anyway.”
“I suppose you were going to ask what is going on or whatever. A bit cliché, but I guess you have the right to know,” Andrea was saying as she circled me.
“Mr. Palatzo hired me … well, the both of us. Hugo swore he saw you a few months ago at a park or something while doing work for the boss. Hugo here works for him … his boss hired me because of my … expertise.”

Andrea backed off and the continued, “see, the boss got the idea from me that we … play the long game with you, Clement.”
I let off a surprised expression.
“Yeah, be surprised if you want. Anyways, you should be lucky. Hugo wanted to waste you right away. In public. What a dolt,” she laughed.
“Hey!”
“Anyways, just figured I’d point out you got screwed by fate. You almost got away but you didn’t, so I told Mr. Palatzo that you’d drop your guard sooner or later. Sooner, it seems from the situation here. That’s all there is. You know the rest. Have fun with him, Hugo.”

I tried to let off a scream but to no avail.

“This is gonna hurt a lot”, said Hugo, as he picked up a crowbar and raised it above his head.

He was right, this was going to hu---

No comments: